Friday, March 27, 2009

Baseball

Baseball is my favorite sport. If I were physically able to play one sport professionally, baseball would be my choice hands down. It's because I grew up on the sport. I am told that my dad took me to my first baseball game before I turned two years old, and I spent most of the game running up and down the empty aisle above our seats. I am also told (by my mom) that I was wearing these "really cute overalls" and that my dad also had to change my diaper during the game.


Highlights-

- Some of my favorite memories growing up include playing ball with my dad in the backyard and playing ball during Little League

- "The Sandlot" has always been one of my favorite movies

- I had the privilege of attending the 4th World Series game of the Padres vs. Yankees with my dad in 1998; awesome awesome experience

-------

I feel there are many parallels between baseball and life. In baseball, each team plays a minimum of 162 games a season. Players must play hard day in and day out even during injuries, because there is no week-long break between games. One does not have to be tall or big to play. Seasons are long and grueling, during which consistent performance is of much higher value than sporadic heroics. If you get on base one out of every three times you go to the plate, you are considered one of baseball's all-time elite.

I feel the same is so true about getting to know God more. Common Christian-ese speech terms it "walking" with God, yet so many times I feel like I'm "stumbling" alongside Him. My victories are far and few, counted on one hand for seemingly every hundred failures. My time with Him is in seasons. I've weathered spiritual winters, "slumps" if you will, and I've also experienced hot streaks in which He was moving in so many ways it would have been impossible to deny Him. Yet I'm starting to realize that although I may be batting below the spiritual Mendoza line because many times I cannot seem to control myself, it's ok, because He loves me a heckavu lot, and His grace is huuuuge, much >>>> my mistakes. And maybe that's just how He wants it: consistent obedience over once-in-a-while home runs, getting better everyday, bit by bit, until slowly my batting average begins to raise. Then I will be someone He may depend on, someone more like Him. This is what every parent desires for their kid anyways, yah? Not legalistic perfection, but the heart to at least try, not mass potential, but proven, rugged character.

---------

There's something about the smell of baseball glove leather, the taste of cherry-flavored slush puppies, and crisp springtime air that makes me love baseball. It's that time of year again, which is why I'm writing this entry. I'll be heading out to Arizona to baseball spring training (lots of west coast teams gathering together to practice before the season starts to scrimmage). Hoping for quality time with my dad. And my Dad. It's gonna be an awesome weekend of baseball.

Awesomeness of the last two days: John 9 and 10. Learning to shut up and actually listen for His voice.


From Blog Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment