Monday, March 23, 2009

Prime Rib

I went to Outback Steakhouse with my parents last night for dinner. We have a routine. We start with a Bloomin' Onion and salads. My mom gets either a prime rib or a ribeye, eats half of it, and brings the rest home. My dad and I split a 16oz Outback style prime rib.

So if you don't know a lot of prime rib, the cut has two main sections: the regular part and the tender part. The tender part is just how it sounds, super succulent and juicy, melt-in-your-mouth goodness. I made a picture to demonstrate =) :

From Blog Stuff


Anyways, usually Outback splits up the steak into two 8oz cuts. However, for some reason this time they left it as a 16oz cut. My dad then cuts it like so and gives me the right half:

From Blog Stuff


I'm like, "Dude seriously dad? Naw here take some of the tender part back."

He says, "No it's ok. I want you to have it."

I protest, "Come on. Take some of it back. Why would you give me that piece?"

And he replies, "Take it Daniel. It's because I love you. I love you. I love you a lot."

And I'm floored to say the least.

------------

Both of parents are believers. My mom came to Christ in middle school, and after praying for something insane like 20 years, her parents became believers as well. My dad found God in medical school, and he found my mom as well.

My parents raised me without offering much spiritual advice. We went to church, but they never told me how to get into the Word, or pray, or know God more. Despite being believers and also ABC's (american born chinese) themselves, they've rarely opened up to share anything "spiritual" with me. At times, I've grown bitter about it, because it feels like I've had to gain spiritual ground all on my own.

I remember one time during freshman year, I was complaining to Tiff Chen about this, and she totally (unknowingly) rebuked me for it. She told me how lucky i was to grow up in a Christian household. And she was totally right.

It's "prime rib" incidences like this that allow me to see Christ's love reflected in my parents' love for me. While they've never verbally led me towards God, I've seen God through the deep grace, mad patience, and unending kindness they show me. And this is the essence of discipleship: actions speaking louder than words. How sinful was it for me to ever think they weren't leading me towards God, when in reality it was their actions and prayers that have brought me along this far. I am a fool.

Chew on this prime rib: Proverbs 9:10. So succulent.

=)

1 comment:

  1. Mmm. Juicy. Haha, really though. Thanks for that touching illustration/sharing, Daniel!

    ReplyDelete