Sunday, April 12, 2009

Shrimp Burrito Bonanza

One of my goals as of late has been trying to learn how to cook. I can now (semi-confidently) say that I am able to cook two things:

1) Shepherd's Pie Casserole (thanks deb)
2) Shrimp Burritos

I've cooked shrimp burritos twice now. The first time was with my good friend Petrina over spring break, and the second time was earlier tonight with Tiff and Nancy (see one post down for a picture of those two).

The recipe is unique in a couple ways. One thing is that the rice is cooked in chicken broth, not in a cooker. Another thing is a mixture of mayo and plain yogurt, which --> a kind of light version of sour cream.

Some of the ingredients:

There's the rice in the foreground.

Finished! (not my picture, obviously)


The recipe.

----------

Cooking is pretty darn hard. I find myself extremely self-conscious and super uncomfortable in the kitchen. I am incredibly noob. Examples? There are plenty:

- I didn't know how to chop an onion until spring break
- Today, i just threw the rice into the pan without washing it, not knowing anything was wrong until nancy told me
- I didn't know how to use a can opener, because i've never used one before. I got away with it over spring break with Petrina by nonchalantly asking her to open the can of tomatoes, promising to myself that I would learn later in the secrecy of my own home. But alas, today I couldn't get around it, and I had to humble myself and ask Nancy how to teach me. Sad day.

And this is exactly why I am learning! Haha. And so far, I am really enjoying cooking a lot. It's so relaxing and fun. Hopefully I will be able to get better at it with time, especially throughout this summer.

Let's cook together sometime =).

7 comments:

  1. you don't HAVE to wash rice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's hilarious. you remind me of steph. good job with the shrimp, ive yet to attempt shrimp cuz im afraid i wouldnt know when its undercooked overcooked or just right. umm just right is when it curls up into a "C" right? =S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Shrimp burritos?!! Okay, we're cooking sometime. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm proud of you bro. wanna learn how to make tonkatsu?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just wanted to know, what is the meaning of "i got a backpack full if tracts plus i keep a johnny mac." i understand the backpack part but what is a johnny mac/mack? maybe i just don't get the joke if there is one but please what does this mean

    ReplyDelete
  6. waddup jeffrey. i was wondering about that too; what is lecrae referencing when he says that he keeps a 'johnny mac?' i think he means a John MacArthur study bible. it makes sense...keeping bible tracts along with a bible. johnny mac is short for john macarthur, the pastor of grace community church in los angeles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Johnny Mack is the the Study Bible , Tracks is in reference to to Beat Tracks, Hes saying hes down to Spread the Gospel , and make music at anytime. At least that what I got from it. God bless!

    ReplyDelete